Which is more effective: SEO or SEM?
You’ve probably heard of search engine optimization (SEO) and search engine marketing (SEM) before. Both are integral parts of digital marketing, but what’s the difference between the two?
SEM ads appear in Google searches using payment strategies and are an online marketing method that involves getting paid traffic from search engines. They increase the visibility of your website on the search engine results page and are vital for promoting your website. On the other hand, SEO uses free methods to rank higher in organic Google searches. Through optimizing your website, you can generate more traffic to your website at no additional cost.
At First Page, we provide professional SEM and SEO services that help you improve your visibility on search engine results pages. As part of our process, we help people build some basic knowledge of SEO and SEM to help them better understand how the visibility and performance of search engines work.
SEM and SEO: which one is right for my brand?
To succeed with either strategy, you must have a comprehensive understanding of your audience and how they behave.
The first step is to analyze your user behavior to understand both their needs and what they are searching for. You can use this user analysis to decide what the right marketing method to fit your target market is. From this point, creating valuable content that not only provides a solution to their search query, but also appears in relevant searches is vital. When it comes to research, looking at keyword statistics is key. Determining which the best keywords are for your audience is a complicated process involving keyword popularity, whether other brands are targeting the same keywords or not and finding the right keywords to compete with these competitors.
To achieve results quickly, use a SEM solution
You can pay one or more search engines to list your site at the top of the results page. This is called paid search (SEM). If you are interested in running a paid search campaign, here’s a step by step breakdown:
- Creating an account – To create ads on a search engine, you need to provide some information about your business.
- Select keywords – You will run ads based on specific keywords. When users search for these keywords, they will see your ad. That’s why it’s important to choose only keywords that are relevant to your niche.
- Bid on keywords – Unless your keywords are very unique, you will compete for ad space with other advertisers. That’s why you need to raise your bids so that people see your ads, but not so high as to limit your return on investment.
- Write the title and description – Because your ads will appear in search results, the number of characters in the title and description is limited. Craft your ad and use your space wisely.
- Set a budget – Most advertising platforms allow you to set a regular budget and regularly control monthly cost overruns.
- Launch your campaign – Once you’ve set up everything, launch your campaign with a click of a button.
- Regular reporting – After setting up all the ads, we can analyze and report to you monthly to actively bring new sales and return metrics to customers.
To achieve longer-term results, choose an SEO strategy
With SEO, you need to use rich and authentic content to attract traffic and increase links. At the same time, selecting relevant keywords to optimize website content and analyzing content problems are key components of improving your website’s ranking in search results. Quality keywords and content are undeniably a big part of good SEO, which will gather you organic and free traffic over a much longer period when compared to SEM.
This is because SEM is only effective when you pay for the results you want to display. Once you close the ad, the traffic you get from your SEM ads will be halted. SEO is exactly the opposite, however, and will grow over time leaving lasting effects.
Rich website content will help you get a higher click-through rate (CTR) for free. At First Page, we can help you reposition Google rankings through services including content writing, adding keywords, and a technical analysis of website security. In order to achieve even higher results, why not use both SEM and SEO? You can complement your SEO with an SEM strategy to get more clicks from different sources and become an expert in Internet marketing!
Get your business on track right away
The strategy you adopt will also be dependent on your business’ age. If you are just starting out with a new website, it will take longer to implement effective SEO. Although this does not mean you should ignore SEO altogether, you can start with a SEM strategy to boost your rankings until proper SEO can be established. After comparing the individual benefits of SEO and SEM, it should be easier to decide which strategy is suitable for your business and where to delegate your marketing budget. If you want a more in depth understanding of which digital marketing strategies to employ, get a free SEO analysis from us at First Page here.