Digital Marketing Statistics Singapore Compared to Hong Kong

Marketing

To compare digital marketing statistics in Singapore with those in Hong Kong, it’s necessary to briefly examine a little background. Both Singapore and Hong Kong were once under British rule. However, when thinking about Singapore, you should realize that the city of Singapore is the capital of the country called Singapore.  This blog post is bought to you by our sister agency First Page Digital, which is a Digital Marketing Agency in Singapore.

 

Hong Kong, however, is a special administrative area of China. Once a small fishing village, it’s now a busy metropolis that technically maintains its own government, independent of China. This was one of the conditions for the withdrawal of British influence in the area.

 

With these things in mind, it is relevant to ask, “What do Hong Kong and Singapore have in common?” The answer could be many things, but for our purposes, the important commonalities are that they have and are both important port cities. With the advent of the Internet and the World Wide Web, another similarity is that both are highly technological. Most importantly, the citizens of both cities and surrounding areas make heavy use of smartphones.

 

In 2016, there were 4.11 million smartphone users in Singapore. Hong Kong is an even heavier user. Ninety-six percent of the population, which is 7.392 million as of 2017, use their smartphones to access the Internet. That figure rounds out to about 7.09 million people who use their smartphone to access the Internet.

 

That sounds like it should be a huge opportunity for digital marketers, and in some ways it is. However, because the smartphone saturation is high, users begin to tend to tune out intrusive ads or, worse yet for advertisers, send them to their spam or recycle folder without reading them.

 

To fight this problem, the onus is on the advertiser to provide valuable information, humor, or some other reason for the network user to access advertising for their product. Of that 96% in Hong Kong, for example, only 45% use their smartphones to purchase products. The other 55% of their smartphone use includes activities such as making phone calls, checking email or watching something entertaining.

 

People in Singapore are extremely attached to their smartphones. But, like the people in Hong Kong, they use them for many other things besides browsing products. Shopping online is a popular activity, with 60% of smartphone owners saying they would do it more often if they could. However, their phones are also used to access entertainment, to talk with friends, to check email, to take care of activities associated with work, and to access social media.

 

One way to work with these statistics is to focus on email campaigns and social media that provide extra value opportunities to readers. It’s a delicate balance, however, because users become annoyed with excessive contacts. But if you can give them something they want, make them laugh or even make them cry, you can bring your company to their attention in a positive sort of way.