Using Google’s MUM (Multitask United Model) to Improve Your Search Ranking
You know how your mom always told you to focus on one task at a time if you wanted to get something done, right? It turns out that Google’s taking the same approach with its search engine results! Utilizing cutting-edge artificial intelligence, Google is making substantial efforts to raise the caliber of search results with Google MUM.
First, it was the release of RankBrain in 2015, then BERT in 2019, and now the search engine giant is ushering in yet another era with the introduction of its Multitask United Model or MUM.
It is insane to think just how much more powerful this Natural Language Processing Model MUM is. When multitasking, it is 1000 times more powerful than BERT. MUM can analyze text, pictures, and video in 75 languages to provide users with the answers to difficult search questions.
What does this mean for you? Read on to find out!
Table of contents
What is Google’s MUM, and how does it work?
Google’s Multitask United Model, or MUM, is a new Artificial Intelligence (AI) system designed to improve the accuracy of Natural Language Processing (NLP) models. NLP is a branch of AI that deals with understanding and generating human language.
MUM is a Multitask Learning (MTL) model, which is trained on multiple tasks simultaneously to learn how to generalize to new tasks better.
The idea behind MUM is that by training on multiple tasks at once, the model will be better able to learn the commonalities between them and thus achieve greater accuracy on new tasks.
Google has said that MUM outperforms state-of-the-art NLP models on several standard benchmarks, including sentiment analysis, question answering, and textual entailment.
In addition, MUM is also more efficient than previous models, requiring less training data and fewer computational resources.
This implies that MUM will integrate various elements of the user’s search query and attempt to comprehend feelings, context, entities, and, most crucially, the user’s purpose/intent to give results that are remarkably similar to what the user anticipated.
It is still the early days for Google’s MUM, and it will have a few iterations to come in the future. Whatever the case, MUM matters, meaning searches will serve information that provides helpful, related insights. So how to prepare and get ready?
What is the MUM’s impact on the future of search?
Search engines impact how content is created since they prioritize keywords, phrases, purpose, and other essential components.
Therefore, should AI change how businesses, SEOs, and agencies attract clients and keep them engaged while ensuring we optimize the visibility Google MUM can offer?
This is a far more complex, intelligent search algorithm that will surface more relevant and helpful information by considering many factors simultaneously and in multiple languages.
Indeed Google is preparing us for the total onslaught of MUM by introducing the recent “Helpful Content Update” and “Spam Update.”
Already, inappropriately positioned content via keyword stuffing will vanish faster than before.
This affirms how crucial user experience, content, general SEO, accessibility, and intent are for success in the digital age.
Ultimately, content must be superior to a few strategically placed keywords to rank anywhere on a page. It must make the best use of the multimedia formats that Google MUM considers.
Remember, Google’s core concern will be its end users, the searcher. Therefore content marketers must approach their job with this in mind.
How can you improve your website’s search ranking and prepare for MUM?
Anyone who has tried to improve their website’s search ranking knows it can be a challenge.
Many different factors go into SEO, and it can be challenging to keep track of all of them.
However, there is a straightforward principle that can help you to get ahead of MUM. Work hard to make your content more helpful and usable for humans.
Here are a few tips from us:
- Be helpful and use keywords and other optimization techniques in a way that makes sense for humans, not just search engines.
- Utilize organized data. The markups on each website feed Google’s Knowledge Graph, where it gets all this information.
- Leave keyword stuffing behind. Put greater emphasis on humanized content that speaks to the audience’s concerns and problems they want to be solved.
- Consider long-form content. Since long-form content can offer a significant portion of the information consumers are looking for, this content will rank well.
- Get ready because MUM will soon be here. Therefore, it is preferable to keep the text straightforward and easily understandable.
- Remember, as little jargon as possible. Jargon-filled content decreases the likelihood that MUM will find it relevant.
- Pay attention to design. Google likes websites that are easy to navigate and visually appealing. It’s time to redesign your site if it’s cluttered.
- Improve your user experience. Google wants visitors to have a positive experience on your site, so make sure your pages load quickly, and that navigation is easy to understand.
- Consider adding features such as social sharing buttons or customer testimonials.
By following these principles, you can improve your website’s search ranking (anyway) and make it more user-friendly and ready for MUM in the meantime.
Final thoughts on Google’s MUM
Google’s MUM is powerful and soon to be at our doorsteps. All the recent updates from Google, like the Spam and Helpful Content updates, indicate that Google Search is changing.
Google’s MUM expands the search landscape to a more global experience. Google’s MUM tries to comprehend more about what we could be looking for than any search engine has ever before.
Preparing for Google’s MUM should be at the forefront of any digital marketing team, SEO professional, or content producer. The time is now, not tomorrow, to be ready.
While some of these link-building strategies may be more effective than others, it’s important to remember that there is no one-size-fits-all solution.
What works for one business might not work for another, so you’ll need to experiment until you find the techniques that produce the best results for your company.
That said, if you’re looking for help to get ahead of MUM, feel free to give us a call or review our SEO and premium content services. We would be happy to share our expertise and help you prepare your website for Google’s MUM NLP future. We will take your website to the next level. Thanks for reading!
What else can you do to improve your digital marketing ROI apart from SEO?
As you know, keeping ahead of the competition requires constant investment. SEO has always been an excellent digital tactic to boost your authority on search (and drive web traffic). What more can you do to improve your marketing ROI? We have some great marketing blogs that can guide you to marketing success:
- Perfect Your Email Marketing Strategy Now
- What Are The Top Ppc Ideas You Ought To Know?
- Social Media Strategies: Successful Ones You Can Learn From
- Helpful Content Tips: Get Noticed Before The Competition
- 6 Easy Digital Marketing Hacks To Increase Your Leads
You probably have a lot on your plate if you are a busy entrepreneur. If this is the case, we encourage you to review some of our strategic marketing services to drive more sales and keep you ahead of the competition:
- SEO for your business to drive qualified leads
- Social media management for improved brand awareness
- Linkbuilding to drive organic traffic to your website
- Top converting landing pages to convert your leads
- Email marketing campaigns to bring in referrals